Saturday, August 9, 2008

Chinese Food and Music

Last night we made some Chinese food for friends and watched the opening ceremony of the Olympics in Beijing. It has been so fun to watch all the Chinese news coverage lately, and we thought that Zhang Yi Mo's artistry in the ceremony was awesome. The NBC cultural analyst was really good because we would have missed a lot of the symbolism without him. If you missed it, shame on you. Hopefully you can see the highlights on YouTube.

Speaking of YouTube, I was looking for Olympics videos and came across the first one about street food culture in Beijing. If you've got 10 minutes, it's worth a look. It made me hungry for some yummy street food (not the weird ones they mentioned...there are lots that aren't weird!)




While I'm at it, I wanted to share with you some videos of Jay Chou, the best Chinese pop star in my opinion. I have to admit I was disappointed that Jay did not make a appearance in the opening ceremony. It would have been a lot more fun with some Chinese rap, for sure! Below are two cool songs. The first is a love song, and I am proud to say that I can sing quite a bit of this song. The karaoke-style video helps. The second is a rap about domestic violence.








I hope you enjoyed the videos -- there are way more on YouTube. Enjoy!


1 comment:

annaelyse said...

1.i watched the opening ceremonies and what made me miss china the most was the announcing in chinese. dang. that and the girls in the white boots who stood on the edge of the parade of nations. ha 2.LOVED the jay videos. reminds me of many trips to han kou and the music blaring out of the export store. ahh. good times. LOVE you!!!!